Vlog #1




Comments

  1. Hi Vivianne! I really like how you attribute most of your Spanish knowledge to your grandmother at such a young age. It’s also awesome that you learned both languages at the same time in such a huge way. You were the true definition of bilingual education and that’s so inspiring. I also love how you said “to teach a child, you have to teach the entire child” because that’s something that I wholly agree with. You have to be able to do everything you can to make sure that a child succeeds, and it’s awesome that you have that mindset as a future educator. I love the different methods of second language learning that you have described, such as scaffolding, and I think that it will be amazing when you are finally able to incorporate them into your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noor, thank you for your thoughtful comment. I really like that we are learning a lot about how to care for children physically, mentally and emotionally in our classes so we can get serve hem and help them thrive. Studies have shown that students must feel safe in all senses to effectively learn scholastic materials.

      Delete
  2. Hello Vivianne! You put together a great video! It's great that you were immersed in the Spanish language at such a young age because it's easiest for people to learn languages before the ages of 3-5. It's not impossible to learn a new language after this age range, but it becomes much more difficult. It's great that you had so much help and support from your early elementary school teachers. This is a crucial relationship that must formed with young ELL students. The structure and support early elementary school teachers bring to their ELL students can make a huge impact in that student's life. The progress a student makes in kindergarten or first grade greatly impacts their school performance in later grades. When teachers take the time to form relationships with their students and understand what they need, the student can get individualized attention and more successful learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren,
      I agree with you that the amount of support that a teacher gives to an ELL student is crucial. “ELLs can learn and reach the highest level of academic achievement”, (Wright, 2015, p.15). With different forms of support, whether it’s visuals, cue cards, working in small groups, etc. that is support that these students need in order to succeed. If this is done in the earlier grades, that is even better! The students will begin to feel more comfortable faster and be able to succeed on their own without support at a faster rate as well.

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition

      Delete
    2. Lauren, you got the nail on the head with the age range that is ideal for students to learn a new language! I think this is why it’s so important that teachers, especially primary teachers are supportive, understanding and available to ELL students. Teachers can make the most impact on their English linguistic skills at a young age so their English language skills are able to develop quickly and efficiently.

      Delete
  3. Hi Vivianne! Thanks for sharing your experience with second languages I loved listening to them! That is so awesome you got to share the gift of a second language with someone as special as your grandmother! Although you did not go to Pre-K I’m sure you learned so much during those experiences with her that are more valuable than many lessons taught at that age in school. Knowing a second language is such an incredible gift you will use for the rest of your life! It is also very exciting that you have such an inclusive classroom, that will be great to learn from such a positive atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Yes, totally agree- even thought I didn’t go to Pre-K I still felt adequately prepared for kindergarten because of the work my parents and grandparents put in at home. as teachers we have to remember not all students are as fortunate as we might have been and will need help catching up to the rest of our students in Kindergarten, if they didn’t attend pre-k. This is also why we must have an open line of communication with the parents of our students so we have an idea about how much knowledge they’re coming into our classrooms with.

      Delete
  4. Hi Vivianne,

    Thank you for sharing your story and experiences. What a blessing that you are already in a class with ELLs. I was really moved by everything your grandmother did to expose you to your native language and getting you familiar with your heritage. It is incredible that you have a family that fully embraced both the English and Spanish language. You and your mentor teacher are doing an amazing job with pairing bilingual students with the students that do not know English at all. It is key that students are supported emotionally when learning a new language and with the support of their classmates, the self-esteem of both students in that pair will flourish. One may grow their understand and confidence in their ability to teach and explain, while the other is learning English in a casual and less intimidating way.
    Your values as a teacher are inspiring and I know that you will be an amazing educator for your future students. Embracing all languages in and out of the classroom will bring us all together as a community. Good luck in teaching! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Asmara! First, Thank you for your kind words- I am so excited to be a teacher. I completely agree that pairing students will be beneficial to both parties. It can help to develop the native English language speakers confidence, social skills and even emotional intelligence. When students are encouraged to interact with students who are different then them, they learn compassion and empathy- two qualities that are necessary to be functioning and productive members of society. After all, we are molding the future

      Delete
  5. Hello Vivianne!
    I really enjoyed watching your video and learning more about yourself. You were lucky to have your grandmother expose Spanish to you at a very young age. Also, the fact that your parents worked with your English exposure. You had a solid balance. I agree with your statement that if you want to teach a child you have to teach the whole child. You have to get to know them inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica! Yes, I was really lucky that my parents and grandparents felt it necessary for me to be bilingual and put in the effort to help me do so. I think being exposed st such a young age made it slot easier to learn both languages and really solidify that language foundation in both Spanish and English. I was lucky enough to have supportive teachers that taught me as a whole child. Their kindness inspired me to work hard and be the best i could be everyday.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vlog #2: Interview with Ana Padrón